Everyday your roof surface is exposed to sun and rain, wind and weather, storms and ice. It can be hard for your roof to withstand the elements without suffering a little wear and tear. A typical roof can go roughly 20 years without a full replacement, but things like storms and sun can and will cause damage. That damage can lead to things like leaks.
Luckily there is a perfect solution to protect your roof, and that is to apply a waterproofing sealant onto the surface. Instead of your roof sustaining the effects from the elements like sun, rain, and ice it is the sealant that takes the hit. In addition to protecting the roof from weather, roof sealants can also make your roof a little more fire-resistant, and can even prevent the growth of mold and algae.
Still, like any roofing repair you’re bound to suffer the consequences especially if you hire an untrained professional or use a cheap sealant. Sealants and coatings have to be applied by someone who knows exactly what they are doing and choosing the right product is 100% necessary.
So if you haven’t figured it out, your installation is very important. Here is an in-depth look at the basics of roof coatings:
The Benefits of Roof Coating
Roof sealants aren’t a one size fits all, there are actually a handful of benefits that depend on which type of coating you choose. Here’s a rundown of each coating type:
- Waterproof and Protect Roof Surfaces: So it has already been mentioned that roof sealants serve as a waterproof coating over all different types of roof surfaces. But to go into more detail, Elastomeric (i.e. rubber) and silicone roof sealants will actually form a protective seal over your roof. The best types of elastomeric and silicone roofs will also be breathable and allow moisture that comes from inside the house to escape. So moisture caused by cooking and showering will be able to escape. It has been said that these products can actually extend the life of your roof by several years.
- UV Protection. Just like people cannot sit out in the sun for hours without doing damage to themselves, being out in the sun all day long can be tough on your roof. This is particularly true if you have asphalt shingles because Ultraviolet rays will cause molecular changes in the shingles that will lead to curling and degradation. Now some roofing materials will actually contain a reflective material that will help limit this problem. But another way to achieve protection is with a good roof sealant. Reflective elastomeric roof coatings can also prevent UV damage.
- Increased Fire-Resistance: In some cases, roof sealants have actually acted as a fire-retardant for your roof. Now if you’re concerned about your roof’s fire rating, installing a metal roof is most likely the best option
- Prevents Mold Growth. Roof coatings actually have fairly low permeability. That means that they don’t stay moist and they will not allow harmful microorganisms like mold and algae to flourish. This can be extra helpful, especially if living in an area with excess moisture.
- Reduce Heat on Your Roof/ Reduce Cooling Costs. Now there are a number of building professionals and experts out there who believe that colored roof coatings are an environmental win. Now there has also been some evidence that these types of “cool roofs,” can actually increase the heat island index. So it is not clear how helpful using cool roof paint actually is. Unfortunately there have been a number of scam manufacturers who have sold roof coating that is meant to reduce energy consumption when they actually don’t do anything at all.
The most important thing is to make sure you pick a pro who knows their way around roof sealants, like the professionals at Superior Seamless Solutions. They need to be able to pick out a quality product that they’ve used before.